A celebration of quilting by one of Scotland’s longest established quilt groups.
Edinburgh based Thistle Quilters is celebrating over 38 years as a thriving quilt group, as well as the 300th anniversary of the 1718 Silk Patchwork Coverlet, one of the earliest known dated patchworks in Britain. “It’s the past, present and future of quilting in one event”, said Brenda McDonnell, Chair, Thistle Quilters.
It’s the first time that the group has exhibited at The Edinburgh Palette, enabling them to fill a much larger exhibition space than ever before and for a much longer period. The two-week long exhibition will showcase a wide range of styles and techniques of patchwork, quilting and textile art by members of Scotland’s longest established quilt group.
Showcasing new and historic quilts under the theme of “Transitions’, the
• Journal Quilts 2017 – “52 quilts for 52 weeks of the year”
• Auld Reekie Quilts – series of small quilts celebrating the wonderful city
• Award-winning contemporary and traditional quilts
• Heritage quilts from private collections
• Quilts inspired by events of the years 1718, 1818, 1918 and 2018.
• Quilts inspired by the 1718 Silk Patchwork Coverlet from The Quilters’
• New work illustrating the quilting aspirations of members
“We’re thrilled to be exhibiting at such an exciting creative space and to
showcase the diversity and talent of our dynamic group. The icing on the cake
is that we can celebrate one of Britain’s quilt treasures, the 1718 Silk
A series of talks and workshops will be held throughout the exhibition; please
check the website for details and updates. Visitors will also have the
opportunity to buy fabric, quilts and crafted cards.
Win a stunning Log Cabin Quilt – Raffle Tickets £1
Opening Times: 10:00-16:00 daily
Galleries 1, 2 and 3, Third Floor Edinburgh Palette, St. Margaret’s House,
Edinburgh, EH7 6AE
Entrance: Free – Refreshments available
For further information visit
Location detailsSt. Margaret’s House – Third Floor
St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road
Edinburgh EH7 6AE