Wednesday 17 February, 2021 - Wednesday 17 February, 2021
1:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Suitable for: Basic sewing machine experience required
Free-motion embroidery online.
This is a fun workshop to learn the useful textile skill of free-motion embroidery. Free-motion embroidery is sometimes called ‘free-machine embroidery’ or free-machining. It can be used in quilting, card-making, and applique to decorate clothing, bags, cushions and used in many other textile art and craft techniques. So if you’re wondering where to start with creative textiles, then I recommend you take this workshop. Find out why Kirstie Allsopp calls free-motion embroidery the ‘crack-cocaine of craft’!
Who is this aimed at?
Quilters, would-be textile artists, dressmakers or crafters looking for something a bit different! You can also use FME in card-making, to decorate clothing, cushions and bags.
Level: Improvers onwards (Basic sewing machine experience required – you must be able to wind bobbins and thread the machine)
What will I learn?
Free-motion embroidery online aims to teach you the basic techniques of FME, plus some advanced techniques too:
- setting up the machine
- guiding the needle to draw with thread
- common free-hand embroidery patterns including some common quilting designs.
- how to obtain a variety of patterns and texture effects
- use of fabric stabilisers
You will need:
- a sewing machine with the feed dogs lowered or covered,
- a darning foot suitable for your make and model of machine,
- an 8 or 9″ embroidery hoop,
- cotton fabric and threads. I’ll send you a note with full details once you’ve booked.
- You’ll also need a phone, tablet or laptop with a webcam so you can watch the demonstrations and show off your results.
Artisan Stitch holds a Certificate of Excellence and is rated Best Sewing classes in Edinburgh. They won a UK Enterprise award for Best Sewing Classes 2020. They are the only course provider in Edinburgh and one of only two in Scotland who is recommended by Queen Margaret University. Tutor Jen Skedd is a member of the Embroiderers’ Guild and Group Twelve Textile Artists. She has exhibited and sold embroidery work widely throughout the UK.
This is always a popular workshop with only a few places available. Early booking is essential. Book here.
Enquiries to email@example.com
St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road