Suitable for: Beginners or refresher
Location: Studio 6.03A St Margaret's House, 151 London Road
The Beginners sewing course XL is an extended version of the classic Beginners sewing course. It is a 2-day course, so there’s two extra projects to make. This extra sewing practice makes a huge difference to your sewing skill and confidence.
It is a good starting point to learn expert sewing techniques whether you want to progress into dressmaking, soft furnishing or craft projects. It’s also a great refresher if you’ve not sewn for a while. You’ll learn how to understand sewing machines, get experience of using different stitch types, learning about stitch lengths, widths and tensions. I’ll explain what the different presser feet are for and you’ll learn how to measure and cut fabric.
Artisan Stitch is run by Jen Skedd, who is a life-long sewist and degree-trained Textile Designer and Artist. They hold a Certificate of Excellence and are rated ‘Best sewing classes in Edinburgh’.
Who is this aimed at?
Absolute Beginners (if you’ve never used a sewing machine before)
Novice sewists (if you’ve recently learned and would like to know a bit more)
Lapsed sewists (as a refresher if you haven’t sewn for a while)
What will I learn?
– How to use a sewing machine safely and confidently
– How to wind bobbins and how to thread a sewing machine
– Understand the importance of correct thread tension
– How to sew perfect straight lines, smooth curves and turn corners
– Learn three different seam types and when to use them
– How to take up a hem
– Make machined buttonholes and how to sew in a zip
– How to make three great sewing projects to practice your new skills:
a lined reversible tote bag,
a zipped make-up bag,
Location detailsSt. Margaret’s House – Sixth Floor
St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road
Edinburgh EH7 6AE