Wednesday 11 August, 2021 - Friday 13 August, 2021
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Suitable for: Complete beginners. Adults and accompanied children 14+
Beginners Intensive Sewing Course: Learn to sew like a pro in 3 days!
Wednesday 11 – Fri 13 August 2021 10am- 5pm each day
The Beginners intensive sewing course is running as a part of Artisan Stitch’s Summer School programme. It will teach you all the foundation skills to launch you into the world of sewing. It is a good starting point to learn expert sewing techniques whether you want to progress into dressmaking, soft furnishing or craft projects.
Beginners’ intensive sewing course -Description
Starting at the very beginning with how to use a sewing machine, each session expands on the skills learnt in the previous one. You’ll build your knowledge, technical ability and confidence over the three days (18 hours in total). You’ll learn how to understand sewing machines and be competent and confident in using one. I’ll explain what the different presser feet are for and you’ll learn how to handle, measure and cut a variety of fabrics. We’ll also look at how to use interfacing and interlining, and how to add fastenings such as buttons, zips and velcro.
The course is composed of a series of tutorials, each followed by a lovely project so you can practise the skills learnt in that session.
Artisan Stitch holds a Certificate of Excellence and is rated ‘Best sewing classes in Edinburgh’. They won a UK Enterprise award for Best sewing classes 2020 and an award for Best Private Sewing Education & Training Provider-Scotland. They are the only course provider in Edinburgh that is recommended by Queen Margaret University.
Who is this aimed at?
- Absolute Beginners (if you’ve never used a sewing machine before)
- Novice sewists (if you’ve recently learned and would like to fill in some gaps and learn a bit more)
- Lapsed sewists (as a refresher course if you haven’t sewn for a while)
Children aged 14 and above will be accepted alongside an accompanying adult.
What will I learn?
- How to use a sewing machine safely and confidently
- How to wind bobbins and how to thread a sewing machine
- how to sew perfect straight lines, smooth curves and turn corners
- understand the importance of correct thread tension
- different stitch types, lengths and widths
- learn different seam types and when to use them
- how to deal with raw edges
- how to take up hems
- make machined buttonholes and sew on buttons
- how to sew in a zip
- four great sewing projects to practice your new skills:
- a tote bag,
- An envelope cushion with buttons
- padded I-pad/tablet cover
- a zipped make-up bag
Sewing machines are provided or you can bring your own if you have one. You’ll need to bring a basic sewing kit: I’ll advise you what you’ll need when you book.
Cost £195 (optional fabric pack £15, or bring your own)
Meals, travel and accommodation are not included.
How to book:
Click here for the link to read more information about the course and to book. Enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
LocationStudio 6.03A St Margaret's House,
St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road