Suitable for: Complete beginners. Adults and accompanied children 14+
Location: Studio 6.03A St Margaret's House,
Beginners Intensive Sewing Course: Learn to sew like a pro in 3 days!
The Beginners intensive sewing course usually runs as part of Artisan Stitch’s Summer School programme but here it is in the winter too. It will teach you all the foundation skills to launch you into the world of sewing. It is a good starting point to learn expert sewing techniques whether you want to progress into dressmaking, soft furnishing or craft projects.
Beginners’ intensive sewing course – Description
Starting at the very beginning with how to use a sewing machine, each session expands on the skills learnt in the previous one. You’ll build your knowledge, technical ability and confidence over the three days (18 hours in total). You’ll learn how to understand sewing machines and be competent and confident in using one. I’ll explain what the different presser feet are for and you’ll learn how to handle, measure and cut a variety of fabrics. We’ll also look at how to use interfacing and interlining, and how to add fastenings such as buttons, zips and velcro.
The course is composed of a series of tutorials, each followed by a lovely project so you can practise the skills learnt in that session.
The tutor is a lifelong sewist with over 40 years experience across dressmaking, tailoring and bridalwear, and a degree-trained Textile designer and artist.
Artisan Stitch holds a Certificate of Excellence and is rated ‘Best sewing classes in Edinburgh’. They won a UK Enterprise award for Best sewing classes 2020, Best Private Sewing Education in 2021 and Best Creative Textile Workshops in 2022. They are the only Edinburgh sewing classes that are recommended by Queen Margaret University.
Who is this aimed at?
- Absolute Beginners (if you’ve never used a sewing machine before)
- Novice sewists (if you’ve recently learned and would like to fill in some gaps and learn a bit more)
- Lapsed sewists (as a refresher course if you haven’t sewn for a while)
What will I learn?
- How to use a sewing machine safely and confidently
- How to wind bobbins and how to thread a sewing machine
- how to sew perfect straight lines, smooth curves and turn corners
- understand the importance of correct thread tension
- different stitch types, lengths and widths
- learn different seam types and when to use them
- how to deal with raw edges
- how to take up hems
- make machined buttonholes and sew on buttons
- how to sew in a zip
- four great sewing projects to practice your new skills:
- a tote bag,
- An envelope cushion with buttons
- padded I-pad/tablet cover
- a zipped make-up bag
Sewing machines are provided or you can bring your own if you have one. You’ll need to bring a basic sewing kit: I’ll advise you what you’ll need when you book.
Cost £240 (all fabrics included)
Meals, travel and accommodation are not included.
How to book:
Click here for the link to read more information about the course and to book. Enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location detailsSt. Margaret’s House – Sixth Floor
St. Margaret’s House, 151 London Road
Edinburgh EH7 6AE