7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
The Beginners sewing course XL is an extended version of the classic Beginners sewing course. It is a 6-week evening course, so there’s two extra projects to make. This extra sewing practice makes a huge difference to your sewing skill and confidence.
It is a good starting point to learn expert sewing techniques whether you want to progress into dressmaking, soft furnishing or craft projects. It’s also a great refresher if you’ve not sewn for a while. You’ll learn how to understand sewing machines, get experience of using different stitch types, learning about stitch lengths, widths and tensions. I’ll explain what the different presser feet are for and you’ll learn how to measure and cut fabric.
7:00 pm - 5:00 pm
The Beginners sewing weekend course is a short introductory course to learn some foundation sewing skills.
Course runs: Friday 31 January 7pm-9pm & Saturday 1 February 10am-5pm
- How to use a sewing machine safely and confidently
- How to wind bobbins and how to thread a sewing machine
- Understand the importance of correct thread tension
- How to sew perfect straight lines, smooth curves and turn corners
- Learn three different seam types and when to use them
- How to finish the edges, and why you should
- How to take up a hem
- Make machined buttonholes and how to sew in a zip
- Your choice of easy sewing projects. Make your choice of a reversible tote bag, I-pad/tablet cover, or zipped make-up bag, (You will need to bring your own fabric for your project – I’ll provide details when you book)
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
In this workshop we will learn Fair Isle knitting using Tin Can Knits Anthology cowl recipe. A great first project for those looking to try colour-work in their knitting. The pattern gives you the chance to experiment with different Fair Isle designs and colours which we’ll explore during the class. Please come to class having already cast-on and completed the ribbing section of the regular cowl so we can jump straight in to the Fair Isle portion and get creative!
- 250 yards total Aran weight yarn (in 2 or more colours)
- 4.0mm & 5.0mm circular needle (40cm)
- Stitch markers
- Please note you will have the cowl ribbing to complete as homework before the workshop, so you will be able to get straight to the Fair Isle in the workshop (the fun bit)!
Image © tincanknits
When purchasing materials for this workshop in my shop, please mention the workshop you are attending and you will recieve a 10% discount on the required bits and bobs.